Fixins Soul Kitchen (Oak Park): All-Day Breakfast Edition

food: 4/5
experience: 5/5
overall: 4.5/5

If you're in the loop on Sac's restaurant scene you have likely heard by now about Fixins, which opened in Fall of last year (2019). It's co-owned by former mayor and basketball player Kevin Johnson, a very controversial figure. Well, we came just for the food, and to see what the fuss was all about. This place is pretty hyped up and it gets busy, especially after church, which is when we went. Thankfully you can waitlist yourself online, which is what I did.

Well, they lived up to the hype. First time we went we just started off with a bunch of sides.


Pancake: 5/5
Fluffy and delicious. They put cinnamon in the batter and it's served with strawberry butter. Nice touches.

Hot link: 5/5
Hot and spicy! Made with their house hot sauce if I'm correct. It's on the table if you wanna add more but this brings the spice. And the flavor. And of course, the salt. A little pricy at seven bucks a link though??


French toast: 4/5
It's decent. Just French toast on thick sliced bread. It's moist, it's fine. Nothing to write home about but not bad.

Chicken apple sausage: 5/5
More delicious sausage. I almost didn't order this because I thought it'd be prepackaged but it's homemade so I'm glad I did. It's got plenty of spices in it including fennel seeds, and it too is spicy. Very flavorful.

Second visit they were closed due to Corona virus (RIP). That didn't stop us from trying the good stuff. Chicken & waffles and biscuits.


Chicken & waffles: 3.5/5
These are two big pieces, a breast and wing, but know that a lot of the breast is just bone. The chicken is a respectable fried chicken. Not the best I've tried but it's okay I guess. 3.5/5. KFC is honestly a lot better in my opinion (I know, heretic). The waffle is 5/5 in terms of flavor (they put cinnamon in it too pretty sure) but it was served soggy so minus points for that. Not a bad option in town for chicken & waffles but there's better out there.


Buttermilk biscuits: 4.5/5
Fluffy, moist, buttery, delicious. Ever so slightly sweet. Served with strawberry butter again.

Unfortunately since they weren't offering their brunch menu for takeout I didn't get to try their breakfast potatoes. I heard they serve them with sweet potatoes. Mmmm. Sweet potato. Damn. Didn't wanna go back just for that item alone but I'm sure they're great.

If you come you're more than likely to see Kevin Johnson at some point during your stay. The first time he said hi to me but I didn't see him. Damn! I did talk to him a bit the next time but mostly to gripe about not being able to order breakfast potatoes. He was in agreement with me at least. Definitely sit down if you come here though, the experience is incomparable to just getting takeout. (Though having a picnic in the park is chill and I recommend it otherwise.) They serve hot maple syrup and the atmosphere is just a lot more fun.

Comments