Cafeteria 15L (Midtown Sacramento): Brunch Edition

food: 4/5
experience: 2/5
overall: 3/5

To those that say Cafeteria is mediocre I say Ni! Ni ni ni! Just kidding they are pretty mediocre. Sorry but I can't possibly give more than a 3/5, Caf. You just suck in minor ways every time I come. On to the brunch menu!


Berry buttermilk pancakes: 4.5/5
Great flavor batter, berries and jam are delicious on top. Whipped cream pretty good but only on the pancakes, not by itself like at Four Sisters (theirs tastes like ice cream). Wasn't sweet enough for that. Though I'm the only one who eats whipped cream by itself. These definitely beat Bacon & Butter. Not nearly as fluffy as theirs though.


Chicken & waffle: 2.5/5
Okay this one is actually really mediocre. I'm a huge chicken & waffles stan so this was disappointing. The waffle is 1/5. Honestly Bisquick makes better waffles by miles. It's a malt waffle so maybe that's why? How do you screw up waffles though, they're so easy. Like if you think these waffles taste good I feel sorry for you. The chicken is a 4/5 in terms of flavor but it's a little dry, even neighbor Hustler Pete agreed there. He's from the South so he knows chicken. It came out really quick so my guess is they put the temp on too high and it overcooked. The batter is uh, I'll say above average. If this was the only thing I ever got here I'd walk away thinking this place was super lame. The pecan butter that comes with it is the best part. We got extra of that. Butter should not be the best part of an entree.


Biscuits: 4/5
Crisp on the outside, fluffy on the inside. Good flavor but not mouthwatering. Put the pecan butter on these too. That stuff is so good. Comes with strawberry jam but you don't need it.


French toast: 4/5
It's decent, nice and thick-cut, but definitely leagues away from Tower or Bacon & Butter. Not too filling.


Chocolate banana waffle: 3.5/5
Notice it says banana but shows berries. They actually ran out of bananas for this one. How do you run out of bananas when you're serving brunch? They're a key breakfast item. And it's on the menu! Like how does that happen. The caramel sauce is what makes these good. Another case of the condiment being the star of the dish. Otherwise they just taste like waffles with cocoa powder. They might've been better if the had the freaking bananas... just saying...


Mexican skillet: 5/5
One of Cafeteria's more unique offerings is their selection of skillets. I prefer carbs when I'm gonna cheat but I couldn't finish my Cafeteria excursion without sampling at least one. Turns out I should've tried this one a long time ago. Everything on here was delicious. The guac, egg and veggie omelette, tater tots. The tortilla was big and thick and tasty. Yup this left me satisfied. They also have chicken apple sausage and housemade pork sausage as add-ins/sides but I only had so many opportunities to try this place.


Breakfast potatoes: 4.5/5
They batter their breakfast potatoes so they're extra crispy and delicious. They're just a little salty but not seasoned very much. Still, quite tasty. The extra veggies in there make it work.

So the myths are true and Cafeteria is kinda mediocre in many ways and we prolly won't be longing for anything we ate a month from now. Not like I long for Tower French toast. I do I do I do-o. Now to address that "experience" rating.

On the first visit they sat us outside and I burned my legs on the metal chair and needed ointment. They were basically like sorry that happened but didn't offer any sort of complimentary item or discount or anything. I didn't even fill out an injury form. So that was all bad. How do they not know by now not to sit people outside on hot days in chairs made of metal, like... major derp there. They need to get their shit together because someone's gonna file a lawsuit someday. On the second visit they didn't give us silverware, just brought the dish like we were supposed to manhandle it. The third time, they gave strawberries on the waffles. They just conveniently withheld the fact that they were out of bananas in spite of the name of the menu item and didn't ask to think if anyone had any strawberry allergies. Well, I did. Like hello you need to tell people when they're getting stuff they don't order. So we had to send it back and they put the new order in the back of the queue so it took another twenty minutes for that. The fourth time was the only time we got good service. I'd say if you come here brace yourself for super spotty wait staff.

Comments