Life of Pie (Northeast Portland)

food: 3.5/5
experience: 4/5
overall: 3.5/5

How cute, a pizza place named after a book. The Life of Pizza-Pie. They recently opened a second location but we went to their flagship one on Williams. They close a little early, at 10pm. Luckily we got there right at 9.

I had to read their ingredients menu first due to my laundry list of food allergies but it looked like I was all set, so I ordered one of their three appetizers and a pizza. They have some salads but they're pretty damn basic so we skipped those.


No, these are not meatballs. These are risotto croquettes. They're battered and fried balls of cheesy risotto and they're oh-so-delish and creamy inside. Comes with marinara and shredded farm (I think?) on top. Best thing we ate here.

Next came the pizza. Ready fairly quickly. Unfortunately it didn't live up to expectations.


I had read all over trying to find a thick-crust pizza in Portland and this was the one people recommended. Womp. The crust was limp and skinny. Maybe the edges were thicker but certainly not thick. The toppings were the best part. We got goat cheese, caramelized onions, garlic confit (roasted garlic), garlic slices, and honey (which you couldn't really taste). The mozzarella was kinda skimpy but oh well, less fat for me (though I still put on even more weight after eating this... the fucking struggle, man).

Since this pizza place made a lot of top-ten lists in Portland, I have to wonder exactly how much Portlanders know about pizza. This was a flop (just like the slices).

Comments