Ernesto's Mexican Food (Midtown Sacramento)

food: 3/5
experience: 2/5
overall: 2.5/5

This place seems a lot more popular in person than online for whatever reason. I think people have started to catch on to how poorly the managers treat their staff. Sad but true. But it's on a busy corner in midtown so they definitely get plenty of foot traffic in spite of that (or should I say... food traffic).

Their menu has all the basic components of American Mexican cuisine and the portions seem pretty damn big. Unfortunately you can't make up for mediocre food with putting more of it on the plate. For starters, it's clear even from a visual perspective the chips are factory-made.


I ordered a standard two-taco combo plate, one crispy chicken and one soft-shell fish.


The crispy taco with chicken was just above Taco Bell standards. The shell wasn't great. The tortilla on the fish taco wasn't great either. The fish and chipotle aioli sauce were good but they didn't save the meal. What was good? The refried beans and rice. Seriously, the sides. It's hard to screw up refried beans though unless they're swimming in lard. Actually that might be an improvement.

Well I thought I'd give it another shot. So I came back with a bunch of things I wanted to try and basically the waitress told me everything with sauce or marinade has something or other in it that I'm allergic to. I finally settled on the shrimp quesadilla and even with that she said I couldn't have the shrimp. Like at this point she was just being lazy. It's shrimp. I told her to check with the chef and she came back and said it was fine.


It's a big quesadilla but the presentation sucks and it's certainly not worth $13.50. Yes there's a decent amount of cheese and shrimp in there, and they grill the tortilla as they should. Yes it's good. But quesadillas are good anyway.

So after my second chance was possibly even worse than my first, I decided to close the case on Ernesto's. Their food is pretty damn overpriced as it is anyway, and you can't order a la carte if you just want one damn taco. The cheapest thing on the menu is the guacamole which is like $8.50 and not actually good. This last time here it seemed like the waitress wasn't even listening to us, she got so many things wrong. Long story short: if you want good Mexican in Sacramento, there are a ton of better options out there. In fact, almost any other restaurant would be better. Pass on this one.

Comments