Gen Korean BBQ House (San Jose)

food: 3.5/5
experience: 3.5/5
overall: 3.5/5

This was my second time at KBBQ. And yes, with a packed-to-the-brim restaurant, multiple recommendations, rumors of super long wait times without the ability to reserve a table under ten, and a completely overstuffed parking lot, this has to be objectively the best restaurant in San Jose so I had to try it.

They have 37 options of meat. 37! Their banchan selection, I was told, is not the most varied as compared to other restaurants, and I also heard they charged for any leftovers. Oh yeah, and you'll probably walk out of there smelling like beef.

First, the wait really wasn't that bad on a Tuesday night. In fact, we got in right away. Second, the parking is fine! I don't know what those people are talking about. The parking lot is huge and the spaces aren't small. Maybe they went to some Gen in an alternate universe. Third, I don't think we got charged for uneaten food. I dunno I didn't pay. Fourth, yes the banchan selection is not too great in terms of flavor or variety. And they don't tend to refill it. But the service is pretty consistent otherwise. And finally no, my clothes were not ridden with the smell of meat.


I wasn't a big red meat eater at the time so that already eliminated half the menu. I tried all the varieties of chicken and seafood and a bit of tofu instead. I can whole-heartedly recommend the Cajun, spicy, and bulgogi anything (all pictured below). The calamari is a little too tough for me. The garlic chicken is pure garlic. Like the seasoning is garlic and nothing else. Oh and the popcorn chicken, it's a little plain. Even the sauce didn't really help. But it's hard to go wrong with popcorn chicken. Tofu stew you can pass on. It's like tofu in a kimchee broth. I don't like kimchee either so again I'm biased. The shrimps seem old. My friend demonstrated how their shells were sticky. Those weren't that great.


After two experiences with KBBQ I have to say I'm still not big on it so this was my first and last visit to Gen. Still a solid spot though for others. Oh yeah they play pretty good music too. Lots of house and stuff.

Comments