Tower Cafe (Land Park): Bakery Edition

food: 5/5
experience: 5/5
overall: 5/5

Forget Temple. If you want pastries come here. These are among the best I've had yet in my journey through the brunch venues of Sactown. In terms of the pastry case, I've tried...


Strawberry almond buttermilk muffin: 5/5
Did not know buttermilk was an option for muffins. This needs to be done more often. Very flavorful.


Peach rosemary scone with white chocolate chips: 4/5
Only taste the peach in this, not the rosemary or white chocolate. Regardless it's great.


Oatmeal cookie: 3.5/5
A little too sweet for me. It looks like a small scone, not a traditional flat cookie, so it's substantial. Especially with the oats.


Garlic cheddar scone: 4/5
Really tasty. They put whole garlic in it. Yum. The cheese isn't overpowering. A nice savory pastry for a change.


French toast muffin: 5/5
I saw this on the way out after the Mexican bread pudding. French toast muffin r-u-serious? I have to try this, says I. French toast muffin though, this was more like French toast bread pudding too. I got a double dose. Amazing. It's moist and tastes like French toast and there's apples in there too. Dusted with powdered sugar and a crisp muffin top. I need more of this in my life


Pumpkin cookie: 4.5/5
Seasonal. This is more like a scone too, it's chewy and not crispy or crunchy. It's got pumpkin but not much spice, but they also put walnuts and cranberries I think in there. The maple frosting on top is a nice touch.


Ginger cookie (right): 5/5
The perfect blend of ginger and sweet, neither overpowering the cookie. It's chewy and it's got yummy sugar granules on top.

Peanut butter cookie (left): 5/5
You can really taste the gritty texture of the peanut butter here. It's just sweet enough and it's a thick, dense, chewy cookie.


Snickerdoodle (left): 4.5/5
The draw here obviously is that it's huge. Other than that I suppose it's decent. It's chewy and light, and it's not too sweet. It works.

Chocolate chip cookie (right): 5/5
A solid chocolate chip with a good base and plenty of chocolate chips. It almost tastes like there's some peanut butter in there. Doesn't hurt that it, too, is huge.


Lemon cookie: 5/5
I've said before I'm not a fan of lemon but this is a nice lemony powdered sugar flavored cookie and the lemon isn't too strong. It's got tart lemon frosting on top which is great and a candied lemon which is even better.

So. You've read my Tower brunch review. You've read my pastry reviews. While the restaurant review is in progress, may I interest you in some dessert? Also known as the best part of the meal? Because from the dessert case, I can recommend the following...


Peach raspberry bread pudding: 5/5
A hefty serving. I was introduced to bread pudding at Bacon & Butter (almost called it bread & butter... the carb obsession is too much) and almost didn't get it this time but the guy gave it to me for free cus he said they might not have it again. Man I should not have eaten this whole thing but it's so soft and sweet and just great really. They always have bread pudding so this is just one of the many flavors.


Mexican cinnamon caramel bread pudding: 4.5/5
Another bread pudding. Yup, this is as decadent as it looks and sounds. The bread is more pudding-like on the bottom though so I stuck to the bottom part. The top is much more crusty and not as flavorful in my opinion.


Pumpkin pie tart: 5/5
Seasonal item but get it while it's hot. This is better than your grandmother's pumpkin pie. The crust, filling, and texture are all perfect. Comes with a mountain of heavy whipped cream and caramel too.


Napoleon (banana): 5/5
I've never had a Napoleon cake but Tower definitely sets the standard. Between the cinnamon whip/mousse on top, layered in between puff pastry sheets along with bananas, this was everything good about dessert. Giving Rick's a run for their money. The flavors are seasonal so get 'em while they last.


Napoleon (berry): 5/5
So nice I bought it twice. I don't know which is better because banana and berries are both their own kind of delicious, but this was just as good the second time around. This time they put chocolate vanilla swirl straws on top. Still tastes like chocolate to me but I'll take it. Layered with raspberries, blackberries, blueberries, and whip/mousse and chocolate.


Lime cashew tart: 5/5
Definitely tastes like custard made from lime of the Key variety, if Yoplait has taught me anything. The best part of this (okay, it's a tie) is its featured cashew-graham cracker crust, which tastes exactly as it sounds and really adds depth to the custard flavor. Whipped cream on top doesn't hurt either.


Yin yang: 5/5
A cheesecake with a coffee-extract mousse on top, followed by a layer of chocolate cheesecake, with an Oreo crust bottom, and chocolate frosting on the sides. And if you get a yang slice you get some chocolate powder on top. Yes, this is every bit as good as it sounds.


Carrot cake: 4/5
Mmmm, not the best carrot cake I've had to be honest. The frosting is cheesier than it is sweet, and the actual cake could use a bit more spice. The nuts are the best part.


Apple pie: 5/5
Soft apple rings in a cinnamon glaze, brown sugar crumble on top, with a nice buttery crust. Be sure to get this warmed up. Fantastic. Vegan but still fantastic.


Banana cream pie: 5/5
I knew this would be good but damn. It's got banana pudding which is already good. It's got actual bananas. It's got whip cream on top, and it's got white chocolate shavings, and it's all atop a delicious pie crust. This is hella good. That is all.


Chocolate cream pie: 5/5
Similar to the banana cream pie except all chocolate. You got your chocolate mousse on the bottom and your whip cream and chocolate shavings on top, all atop a chocolate cookie pie crust. Chocolatey heaven indeed. Surprisingly light.


El diablo cake: 5/5
Not yo momma's devil's food cake! This definitely tastes better than the box. It's super moist and rich, and the frosting is equally rich, as well as thick. Thick like my thighs after finishing this whole slice. Don't believe me? Try it yourself and see if you can stop. Devilish yet heavenly.



Mousse: 4.5/5
Also to be found in the chocolate cream pie, this dessert is pretty good on its own. Creamy chocolate whipped yumminess. Light and delicious. No, you may not keep the martini glass.


Tiramisu: 5/5
So moist and fresh. Definitely authentic Italian. The ladyfingers on the exterior aren't mushy, they have a nice crispness to them. But they're spongey on the interior of the cake. The cream filling is good, it's got a hint of coffee taste, and then of course all the chocolate shavings on top. Not too heavy, just the perfect amount for an after-dinner treat.

If you come here just for dessert be forewarned they like to take their time serving it to you. I guess they want you to get the full experience of the restaurant or something? Including the wait time. All ya gotta do is cut it, mayn.

So, this is just about everything from the dessert case. I think the only things I haven't tried on the menu are the panna cotta, which just doesn't look that good to me (it's a heavy cream-based Italian dessert) and the lemon tart because well, I just don't like lemon as much as I like lime and there is no topping that key lime pie tart so why bother. There are some things that are only seasonal that I didn't bother. Other than that, everything here tastes and looks gawgeous. Highly recommend stopping by Tower for the dessert part of a progressive dinner. And if you don't know what that is, you just don't do food like I do.

Comments