Sushi Kakogan (Rocklin)

food: 3/5
experience: 3.5/5
overall: 3.5/5

We were in the area one day and since we're hardly ever way out in Rocklin we decided to try some place new. So we got some soosh at Kakogan.

I ordered my standard sashimi dish. I thought the nine-ounce sashimi would be a paltry lil bit cus nine ounces don't sound like a whole lot but hot damn now I'm wondering exactly how much these other places were really giving me cus this is plate full.


There are six different kinds of fish on there along with roe and lemon, and my favorite wasabi of course. Their wasabi is good, I ate it in like four bites. At $23 this is a good deal.

Next up I tried their rolls. Their menu of rolls isn't too impressive so I just tried a few. Unfortunately for me every sauce of theirs has either soy or sesame in it so I was stuck with sriracha.


The Chris roll is made with cream cheese which is the main reason I got it. Cream cheese and sushi is always a dealmaker for me. This one is good, not great. It's just got salmon and avo on top and shrimp inside.


The Michelle roll kind of sucked though. I thought chicken on a roll would be an interesting concept to try, plus carrots and yam inside. Well, it tastes like all carrots to me. I basically paid over eleven bucks for some chicken, rice, and sriracha. I wouldn't advise trying this one.

Some of their rolls look really good but are way too expensive for me to try. Namely the Kakogan creations. So I'll just show a couple to you. First, the Tango...


Which comes with their BBQ albacore app on top, plus tempura, spicy shrimp, crab, and avocado inside.

And the T & A...


Which has more BBQ albacore, tempura shrimp, spicy tuna, seared tuna, and two kinds of sauces (house and chili). So if you're a fan of tuna, get this.

They also have a Gilroy Garlic roll, in honor of the Gilroy Garlic festival I presume. It's nothing special. It features garlic and that's about all that's cool about it.


Lastly I sampled the appetizers. Namely the calamari because why wouldn't you get calamari at every opportunity it's on the menu.


Okay so I've never had bad calamari but I can't say this is good. I don't know. It's not that it didn't taste fresh; it just didn't have much flavor? I guess? The tempura batter is fine but the calamari is just kind of bland. I don't know where they source it but they should stop.

It's a chill restaurant, not too busy. Probably because it's way the fuck out in Rocklin. They claim their Rocklin's best sushi. Well there must not be much of a sushi selection in Rocklin then cus this is good but it's not the best I've had by any means. I'd say it's about average. Their selection is pretty uninspiring with just standard shrimp tempura, masago and avocado in almost every roll.

That sashimi plate though. That's good stuff.

Comments