Penguin's Place Frozen Yogurt (Los Angeles)

food: 5/5
experience: 4.5/5
overall: 5/5

Penguin's is a small chain of excellent fro-yo in Los Angeles. They used to have many locations but now have just the three, in West LA, South Pasadena and Marina Del Rey. Two is plenty for me. I love the place of Penguin.

My first Penguin's was the one in Culver City. I had been making eyes with it for a year, they being on my various routes to and from wherever. Semi-starving after a visit to LMU, I found myself in here.


I got a small yogurt in a medium cup to make room for the toppings that inevitably take up half my dish, and if I'm not mistaken was only charged for the small. The yogurt? Sweet. Sweet as in sweet, sweet as in yes-thank-you-universe-I-needed-this awesome. I was presented with a "buy twelve, get one free" card, but the chances of me spending fifty bucks on Penguin's were slim to none, so I declined.

A sweet, creamy, and tart-flavored moment of seclusion. Ahhhh. I felt replenished, if only for a few hours.

We met again in West LA. This time, I went with the creamy chocolate pudding soft-serve.


My dish, once again, was par excellente. A slightly strange aftertaste (it is sugar-free, after all), but you'd probably never notice. Except after reading this, in which case you will. My bad. It's still pretty delicious though.

Penguin's also sells ice cream! Since this post has been, well, posted, I have developed some weird sort of allergy to ice cream, gelato, and anything related to that. So here is a pretty picture of their ice cream I can't have for your references...


Their ice cream is from McConnell's ("imported" from Santa Barbara) and Cascade Glacier (from Oregon). They have all the classics: cookie dough, peanut butter cup, mint chip, black cherry, plus a few unique ones like bananas foster, salted caramel pretzel... okay I'm just making myself hungry now for all the food I can't have so yeah, you get the picture. You can also get it by the pint. And at the Westwood location (not sure about elsewhere) sometimes they even have ice cream (and froyo) cake! Individual servings and full-size.


Indoor and outdoor seating, a gaping array of toppings, and a never-ending, always-changing selection of flavors. However. Worthless customer service in West LA. Semi-fresh fruit toppings, yes. Medium sized, five bucks total. Creepy underground parking lot. A fair "yes", but I prefer the other location, thank you.

Half off a froyo on your birthday!

Comments