California Livin' Series: Vista Theatre (Los Feliz)

California Livin' goes to the movies! This week I'm going to show you around the Vista Theatre in Los Angeles.

I don't care how ridonkulous parking is, nor how wtf movie tickets cost these days. I will even bypass the oddity that this is located on Sunset Drive (not Boulevard). Because this movie house is bomb-effin'-diggity. Swoon...


The Vista is a landmark theatre and it's got that old-timey feel to it. If there's one thing the hipsters of Silverlake have right it's this here cinema. I would go so far as to say it's one of the few places left in LA that still has a real sense of character. The red curtain draws as your movie is presented...


My first time here was for a very special showing of Joseph Gordon-Levitt's HitRecord shorts. HitRecord is an online company that is open-collaboration and artists of all kinds can work together and use each others' materials to produce something great. We got to sample the cream of the crop and it was, yeah, pretty hipster-y in taste. Lots of steampunk and Tim Burton-inspired type stuff.


I fell in love at first sight. With the theatre! And maybe Joseph Gordon-Levitt because he was there. This cinema, to put in my own terms: it's a memory maker. You will not forget your experiences here.


I could gush on and on but I'll keep it brief. Um, how should I end this...

It's more than a movie theatre. It's a Vista... ah, fuck it, just go.

Comments