Taqueria Davis (Davis)

food: 4.5/5
experience: 3.5/5
overall: 4/5

I was torn between four and five stars for the food here.

I got the standard taco-burrito combo that provides a decent representation of a Mexican restaurant's offerings, in my opinion.

The fish burrito, in spite of its name (fish + burrito = win)... is not the best I've had.


A regular burrito with fish, it just felt like it was missing something. It has rice, beans, fish, and that's it. They use whole pinto beans instead of refried which aren't as flavorful. And there's no cheese in it. The tortilla I believe is wheat. All in all not fantastic but still good. This burrito, by the way, is as big as my forearm, so it will do the job.


As opposed to the burrito, the fish taco plate however was excellent.


The refried beans and cheese on the side good as always, rice bland, but the taco is everything you'd want in a taco. The corn tortilla is flavorful, as is the fish, and the sauce literally was the icing on the ...taco. It was a bit spicy as well.

So 4/5 for the burrito and 5/5 for the taco. What pushed me back to four was the fact that one burrito sans any sides costs over ten bucks. Even given the fish, which was as much as you'd get in two tacos. The whole taco plate with guacamole included was less than that. Guess their burritos make the most moolah because everyone seemed to be gnawing on those.

You can also get your burrito in bowl format. Slightly healthier? I guess? Not when you get it California style and loaded with potatoes, cheese and guac like me though. At least I skipped the sour cream. Whatever.


This was fuckin bomb man. The ingredients are all mixed together and distributed evenly so it's like a burrito hash with guac on the bottom for some reason and salsa/cheese on top. Like I said, not the healthiest thing but not horrible for you. It's delicious.

Their menu is small so the last thing I tried were the quesadillas.


Eh, what can I say. It's just a small quesadilla with cheese. Tastes as it should. Quesadillas are rarely bad. Didn't detect any buttery taste on the tortilla but it's grilled fine.

My friend came with me the last time and got the forearm burrito and he said the ingredients were distributed perfectly. He also got a horchata which I've never had. It tastes like sweet cinnamon rice milk. I would never get it myself but it was fun to try.


This place could use a little more authenticity, methinks. It is in Davis which is already kind of yuppie so maybe that's asking too much. Well, they did have mole when I went but she was afraid I'd be allergic to some ingredient in it so I didn't get to try it. Ugh. Stupid food allergies.

Comments