La Catrina Tacos (Southeast Portland)

food: 4/5
experience: 3/5
overall: 3.5/5

After polishing off a whole burrito from Laughing Planet, I was still hungry and needed a late night snack. Hey, give your girl a break, I hadn't eaten anything until 6pm that night and I had to make up for lost time. Since we were located in Southeast Portland, far away from any sort of restaurant scene, I had to make do. I found one taco truck nearby named La Catrina that was open late, and so it was.

Enter huge-ass fish burrito. It's a lot bigger than it looks in the picture. One instance where the camera definitely doesn't add ten pounds.


One of the best burritos I've had for sure, mostly due to its sheer size. It had crusted fish (I think it was cornmeal...awesome (not)), Mexican rice, cheese, sour cream, lettuce, and tomato, all wrapped in a tortilla that was probably one foot or more in diameter. So yes, it was big. And no, I should not have finished all of it, because yes, I put on one whole pound the next day. God dammit.

Anyway. Because it was so good, we returned the next day for a quesadilla and a side of beans. Their menu is small so this was all we got. They also have tortas but I'm not interested in Mexican sandwiches, or really any sandwich for that matter. As I was saying.


This is the chicken quesadilla and side of beans in a leftover tray. The beans were pretty damn meh. They were very creamy and didn't have chunks in them so I didn't eat much of these. The quesadilla was decent, and the chicken just tasted like regular old shredded chicken. No seasoning or anything. Not too much cheese in there compared to chicken. Some might prefer more meat; I prefer an even balance. So this wasn't as amazing as the burrito, but still, it's Mexican food and it's authentic so ya can't complain. We are in Oregon after all, and they're not exactly across the border from Mexico like us Californians.

Oh yeah, it being a taco truck we also tried a couple tacos on each visit. One customer recommended the pastor (marinated pork, left) so I went with that. And then we got one chorizo (sausage, right).


Pastor is aight but I'm not a huge pork fan personally. I do like chorizo though, and theirs was pretty good. Not too spicy but flavorful.

There is a bit of a language barrier so they really didn't understand what I was saying when I wanted beans in my burrito. They didn't put any in there. It was still great, don't get me wrong, and it was huge so I'm not sure there would have been room. But language barriers are definitely an issue here so be prepared.

Seat yourself outside in the Portland cold at the picnic tables, or sneak into McDonald's across the street and eat there.

Comments