Thai Basil (Midtown Sacramento)

food: 3/5
experience: 0/5
overall: 0.5/5

Thai Basil is okay for Thai. This was a regular stop for me in high school along with Chada. Too bad it's kind of expensive here. But it is in midtown after all.

The restaurant is decorated nicely and they have a nice little wraparound patio outside too. Good atmosphere. Being vegan in high school I tried basically all of their tofu stir-fried dishes and that was it. Now they have a special vegan menu for all the snowflakes out there.


If you've tried one Thai stir fry you've tried them all I suppose. They're good. I don't have any particular comments on any of them, other than the sweet and sour dish which is the best because it has sweet and sour sauce and pineapple. Spicy eggplant is pretty good too with the squishy little Japanese eggplants, and I like my spicy.


If you get brown rice it's not the typical thin grain, it's a chunky hearty grain and it's multi-colored. So that's different. I think it's called "purple rice" elsewhere.


The seafood curry is nice and spicy and full of delicious seafood including my favorite shellfish, scallops.


Now the story behind this is that I literally told the waitress I was allergic to soy sauce and she actually suggested I get the curry. Cue hours later when I am in serious pain and can't fall asleep and I can't figure out for the life of me what is wrong. And then I have inflammation the next morning. It took a bit to put two and two together but there was definitely soy sauce in this dish. On this occasion my friend got a chicken salad and later told me it was the worst meal he had in his life and that the chicken tasted old.

Regarding the soy, I called them about it and finally after a week passed they agreed to comp me another curry. One. I could have sued y'all but ya know...one meal is fine...anyway I don't have a lawyer so I took it. I got the most expensive option since the seafood curry was $26. Large panang red curry with shrimp which still wasn't as much as the original dish. They gave me a soda (a lone can) with it too but all told it was less than $26 not including tip either. So let's see what we got here.


First problem: this is a large? It's halfway full. I can't imagine what a small would be. Second...


All there is is shrimp in it! Huh?! There was one lone skinny strip of bell pepper and twelve shrimps in it and that's it. Alright, I'm done. How pathetic and spiteful. The curry was good at least but that's really beside the point.

They do have some interesting dessert options that cover more than the standard fried bananas-ice cream or mango-sticky rice combos most Thai joints offer, such as Thai custard, a sweet tropical grill of fruit, and sweet black rice. Unfortunately I won't be back for any of them.

Aside from the allergy mishap, service is on the slow side and always has been. Like I said it's just. "average" for Thai food. Customer service is nothing special, sometimes there's a language barrier. And as usual parking will suck so look forward to that. There's better places you could be going for Thai especially in midtown but this one seems to be a staple, I think because it was one of the first in the area. Now everyone goes to the Coconut.

Comments