Carolina's Mexican Food (Meadowview)

food: 4/5
experience: 3/5
overall: 4/5

Carolina's is a very small "chain", with three locations in Sacramento, that specializes in Mexican food. I came here with late night cravings and since two locations are open 24/7, they were just gonna have to do.

It's your basic drive-in selection. No tamales, no sopes, nothing desirable besides fish tacos. I got one of those and a burrito and I drove all the way back home to find they gave me two chicken tacos. So it was an hour total round-trip to get my one fish taco. Waiting an hour for food does not make Kristen a happy crab.


The burrito is basically one huge pile of refried beans, maybe 3/4 cup of rice, and one ounce cheese. The tortilla is good though. And the burritos are pretty big.


The fishies are nice and crispy but not the best taco fishies I've had.

Next I tried the humble quesadilla. It costs six bucks for a plain cheese which seems a leetle bit high but oh well.


It's pretty plain but they do put a lot of cheese in there at least, and it's also big.

Gotta treat myself to dessert on occasion. Their churros are just over a buck. One can't hurt, right?


They're pretty big and they're as good as churros be. They got strawberry too but I kept it simple. I don't know about the strawberry but the regular doesn't have any filling. It's just fried dough with cinnamon sugar coating. Still good though.

They serve breakfast burritos all day! I saved the best meal for last this time. Breakfast burritos are my new shit so I got the chorizo sausage, a.k.a. the best breakfast meat ever. They also have link sausage but this is a Mexican place so I expect the chorizo option to be miles better. And they have plates where you get everything but the tortilla pretty much.


Look how much chorizo they put in there! Way better in comparison to my first burrito. Full of chorizo plus some eggs and french fries. The chorizo is nice and flavorful. And you can't tell but it's humongous. Definitely delicious, so big I had to finish it over the course of the whole day. Breakfast is only at the Valley Hi location though as far as I know. That one's now called Danila's but they still serve the Carolina's menu complete with Jarritos beverages.

Last, they have carne asada fries! They give you a big pile.


I didn't try these personally because it seems a little extra in terms of my (fake) diet but my inside sources say they're pretty good. I mean, look at them. That's a family-size fries for ten bucks. Rumor has it they're spiked with drugz cus they're so good.

The key to getting good Carolina's is not acknowledging that they're open 24/7 and going during the day. I consistently hear bad things about orders being wrong and snippy cashiers from the night crowd. Can't blame them for hating being awake at 3:30am.

Comments