Mikuni Sushi (Sacramento)

food: 4/5
experience: 4/5
overall: 4/5

Warning to all soy allergies: almost everything at Mikuni has soy in it. Noooo! Even the potstickers (gyoza). Dammit, I love potstickers! Why you gotta take that away from me, Mikuni? And I don't get to try the tuna sliders either? :'( But Mikuni takes allergies very seriously, which I respect and appreciate, so they won't serve anything to you if they think it's risky.

Mikuni is known for their sushi anyway, so that's mostly what I eat here. They have seven locations within driving distance of the Sacramento area. I have tried some of the small plates as well. My favorite is probably the Spicy Dream 1.


Seared albacore with two types of sauces. It's basic only if you underestimate how good seared tuna is. Had to get this one without sesame seeds so I sent it back. Hate doing that.

A similar one is the BBQ white tuna, which is cubes of tuna on a skewer with dipping sauce. Just as good but more fun to eat.


The sauces are delicious as well, spicy and creamy respectively. The appetizer portion is pretty damn small as you can see.

Of course I had to see what their chirashi was all about.


An awesome variety of fish, eight different kinds (is octopus fish?) - including a scallop! I've never had that in my chirashi to my recollection. Fresh and plentiful with nineteen pieces total.

And now for the best (and most visually appealing) part, the sushi. I found out all their sauces have soy in them (major oops), and even the roe is soaked in soy sauce (say wha??). Yikes. So I got my rolls without all that stuff which weren't quite as visually appealing or flavorful but still (mostly) tasty. Get ready, there's a bunch of them.


Davis: 5/5
Spicy tuna, seared tuna, and crab salad with avocado. The seared tuna on top really made this one. A very tuna-y roll. The Kaiser roll also features spicy and seared tuna with crab mix plus yellowtail. And the Annie is the same but with shrimp instead of crab. Recommend both those as well.


Japanese Mafia: 4.5/5
Similar to the 49er roll but with cream cheese and more fish, and it's torched (though I don't think they torched mine because I guess it was customized?). I love me some scallop but I would have liked to see more cream cheese, there was hardly any in there. But they used actual crab, woo! Once again it would've looked and tasted better with sauce but oh well.


49er Jack: 5/5
Pretty good. It's hard to go wrong with scallops, and the crab salad was really fresh and tasty. Also featuring scallops and crab mix: the Marilyn Monroll. Good stuff.


Hang Loose: 2/5
Without the parmesan sauce and masago, this roll was really no different than a California roll with salmon on top. Pretty boring. I doubt the sauce and masago would have improved it greatly. More fish variety would have been preferable.


Mel: 3/5
This one doesn't have any allergens in it, thank goodness. But that's because it's all fish. So uh. Not too exciting. It works if you're trying to eat healthy. Or um, allergic to everything. But for sixteen bucks it's a little plain.


Bob's: 5/5
Okay for real though, cream cheese and crab salad are delicious on their own but together? This was like a flavor explosion. It was slightly sweet thanks to the crab salad. But the flavor is really hearty and satisfying. I imagine it'd taste hella good with sauce too. There's also the James roll which is similar with the cream cheese-crab-salmon combo; and the Michi roll which has delicious seared tuna on top. All of them 5/5.


Tasmanian: 2.5/5
I like steelhead so I wanted to try Mikuni's only trout roll. Turns out it's pretty damn plain. Steelhead and lemon on top (a nice touch), with asparagus and salmon inside. The steelhead at Mikuni somehow does not taste as good as I remember having it the first time, at another restaurant. I confused it with salmon to be honest.


Midtown: 3.5/5
The main draw of this for me was the garlic tuna. I know, not too exciting. Turns out the sauce is made with garlic + unagi sauce (soy). Whoops. They custom made plain garlic tuna for me though cus I'm a regular. It came with sriracha which was cool but the tuna only had a hint of garlic. The spicy tuna helped flavor it a bit. Sadly this roll only has six pieces.


Incredible: 4.5/5
Three kinds of tuna in here: spicy tuna, red tuna, and white tuna. The top tuna is torched so it's basically seared tuna. Definitely a tuna lover's dream. Served with spicy sriracha so it's extra-hot.


Pimp My Roll: 5/5
The toppings make this roll. It's got the seared tuna plus macadamia nuts. The nuts make this roll hella expensive but hella good.

But the best part of Mikuni is you get to spin the wheel on your birthday! You can win a $100 gift card if you do it right. Make sure to give it a big spin though otherwise it won't go all the way around. I won a bag of rice... but they said they'd give me a beer glass anyway yeeee here it is:


Sign up for their loyalty card and get ten bucks off on your big day! If you spend $2500 here you get a $25 gift card. Totes worth it. See you in 25 years, Mikuni...

Comments