California Livin' Series: City of Palm Desert, California

Back with another episode in the California Livin' series! And we are also back in California actually this time. Riverside County, to be sure.

I've been informed by my native Angeleno amies that pretty much everyone in Los Angeles has or knows or is related to someone who has a condo or house or apartment in Palm Desert or Palm Springs. This, after telling them I had never been to either, and their looking at me like a glacier was hanging out of my nose.


Lucky me, I happen to know someone who owns a condo who does not hail from Los Angeles. It is in a gated community. Surprise! And the community contains a golf course, a country club, and about ten individual heated pools.


Yeah, Palm Desert's essentially everything you and I would expect it to be. Oh, I forgot to mention the heaps of old people.


Here's something you may not have expected: last time I went there were a ton of Canadians there. Cus the Canadian dollar was worth more than ours at one point. Didn't know that? Now ya do.


All the streets are lined with palm trees, and the whole city is very desert-chic - reminiscent of Sedona - but very planned out. So not too much character, but it's comfortable I suppose. Oldies like familiarity.


Lots of boutiques along the main avenue, most of which are high-end or wish they were. Most of the independent boutiques are run by little old ladies - surprise! - so the selection is less than desirable, and the prices even more so.


Also on the streets can be found a bevy of luxurious cars.


There are quite a few steakhouses here, I noticed. Not too surprisingly, fast-foods are few and far between. I witnessed something never before seen in my lifetime: a Burger King with a "For Lease" sign on the window. Jaw-drop-face!


Not to be missed: the celebrity real estate. Good luck finding it among the gated communities, though.


All in all, 'twas a happy time indeed in the Desert of Palm.

Comments