Fox & Goose (Midtown Sacramento): Brunch Edition

food: 3/5
experience: 4/5
overall: 3.5/5

Fox & Goose has a sign outside during the morning/afternoon "rush" that says "Best Brunch in Sac." I really don't know about that. Their food skews toward meh.

I used to always get the tofu scramble when I came, back during my vegan days prior to soy allergy.


This is pretty good, have to say. It tastes as good as it looks. It comes in a few varieties. Would I recommend it? Technically, no, because soy is terrible for you. If it were eggs, I totally would.

Their waffles are...strange. They look pre-made, honestly. They actually look like Eggos.


If you want a waffle I highly suggest the multigrain one. It's a lot more flavorful.


Their scones are just delicious though. They rotate the flavors all the time. The one above is the bananas foster scone. Up there with the best scones I've ever had. It has cinnamon frosting on top. Hello, banana cinnamon, two amazing flavors in one. Skip the fancy "Devonshire cream" though. It's just whipped cream and costs two dollars extra.

Their pancakes look fluffy and enticing but the flavor isn't there. IHOP is better to be honest.


And the French toast is a loser. Got it with sourdough walnut toast because that sounds hella good but it just tasted like plain bread that's somewhat soggy. The plain toast would've been much better.

Fruit salad is the cheap stuff, melon, grapes, bananas and strawberries. Emphasis on the melon.


Bacon, eggs, crumpets, all standard. Very hard to go wrong there but it is possible. Some places like to fry their bacon in hell for some reason. No sense in going out to eat just to order groceries.


A lot of people complain that Fox's scones are too dry. After trying the mini ones above (maple pecan and their signature ollalieberry, which is like blackberry), I have to agree. I've heard the Brits make their scones very dry, but then I've also heard that they are moister than American scones, so I don't know who's right. All I know is these were rock hard and seemed stale. They tasted great, but we couldn't finish them.

Open mic nights are on Monday, sign-ups at 7:30pm! Maybe one day I'll get the courage to do my stand-up routine. More than likely I'll forget this opportunity exists.

Comments