Kamado Sushi (Berkeley)

food: 3.5/5
experience: 3.5/5
overall: 3.5/5

Just a little sushi restaurant in Berkeley where we ate when I visited my friend in the city.

Not much to say about sashimi. I just ordered the chirashi dish which is usually my standard at Japanese seeing as I'm allergic to both soy and sesame seeds (lucky me), among other intolerances.


Had to pick off the eel because it's cooked in soy. Decent amount of fish, all fresh. Comes with egg as well, and of course a bunch of rice which I didn't really eat so no comment there. It's just rice.

I tried their fried calamari. I do my best to avoid fried foods but fried calamari is too good to pass up.


We got the legs. They're not the tiny calamari legs, these are full-grown squid legs. Covered in tempura batter. Normally I'm not a big tempura fan but these work. The tempura falls right off.

We also got a bunch of rolls. Spicy scallop (bottom right), spicy tuna (bottom left), tuna maki (top right), and kaisen futomaki (top left) which has several types of fish in it. No sauce on any of them.


Their sushi ain't great, gonna be honest. The spicy rolls, my friend and I both agreed, have no hint of spice whatsoever. Their rolls are on the smaller side with only five to six pieces instead of eight, and a lot less fish than normal. No toppings either except masago. At least the prices aren't too bad. I guess.

My friend got a beer. They have two kinds of Japanese beer. This one's the Sunrise Ale.


It has an apricot taste to it with a wheat-y finish. He gave it a 7.5/10.

Service is pretty minimal. They charge three bucks for fresh wasabi. Yikes. Just ask for the powdered stuff.

Comments