Aji Dori (Midtown Sacramento)

food: 3.5/5
experience: 2/5
overall: 3/5

Aji Dori has had several restaurants occupy its place. Aji is its newest incarnation, though I believe it's run by the same people who ran it as a sushi restaurant under a different name. That place didn't have a very good reputation so apparently they changed the name? And added a few different menu items. Oh yeah, and they jacked up the prices. Sorry guys, not fooling anyone.

Our server kinda seemed like a dummy. Sorry dude. I told him I was majorly allergic to both soy and sesame seeds and twice, make sure there's none of either in my food. I ordered chirashi so I thought this would be simple enough.


This is what I got. Looks innocent enough, but that little green stuff on the side is fresh wasabi made with soy. Thankfully I avoided that. And if you look at the interior...


Sesame seeds! Agghhh!! Just wow. Wrong on both counts.

The fish was fresh enough, sure. But for the price tag (thirty bucks!) this was a bit inexcusable. Especially when you could easily get the same quality and quantity for twenty-something literally anywhere else in the area.

Also tried some of their maki sushi for happy hour. Namely the bistro roll...


This was pretty good but basic. Their rolls aren't bad, I have to admit. This one had tempura shrimp, avocado, and scallops. Another good one is the angry tuna with spicy tuna among other things. Spicy tuna is best tuna.

Lastly, their ramen. We got the one that was vegan I think. It was definitely vegetarian.


It was alright. As far as ramen goes, this was, well, ramen. There was some weird vegetable concoction you can see in the corner, we couldn't figure that one out but whatever, it was alright I suppose.

They have my favorite, sea bass, but they ruin it with soy, so none of that for me. In fact most of the things I wanted to try had soy. Including the thing I got, apparently.

All in all, there is much cheaper sushi to be found in the area, and the prices of the dishes do not at all account for their size or quality. Skip this one.

Comments