The Boiling Crab (California)

food: 3/5
experience: 0/5
overall: 1.5/5

Jesus H. Christ the wait here is long enough to make you wanna kill yourself. We left at 7:30, got here at 8, and weren't seated for almost an hour. It's a Friday night but still that's pretty fuckin long. They said a 30-35min wait. Open tables but no seat-y. And of course once we were seated every table opened up.

The only reason we came here was to see what all the fuss was about. It's very popular, I guess since it's a gimmick restaurant like Joe's Crab Shack.

So after the torture of waiting over 45 minutes and a certain someone not knowing what they wanted... plus the time it took to cook... lord help me. They gave us "the bibs" first. Then finally, finally, a quarter after 9 p.m., I could enjoy some food. As someone who practices intermittent fasting (intermittently...) let me tell you it was no cake walk waiting.


The sweet potato fries are great. You can't go wrong there. But I came for the seafood. I ordered crawfish (frozen is cheaper for some reason) and snow crab and hadn't really had either before.


The food is served in a bag... and dumped on the table. Yup.

The crab is nice and fresh, tastes like crab. I dunno what the difference is in flavor between all the varieties of crab.


The crawfish took about fifteen minutes longer for some reason. I guess because they were frozen? I kept asking people to check on it and they never returned. Finally they came and they had the wrong sauce on them. Sigh. Crawfish are probably something I will never eat again. So much shell so little meat.

Finally, they took forever for the bill. Basically, come here if you are an hour away from being hungry unless you want to torture yourself. The amount of actual food to price ratio sucks butt so you'll have to order sides which cost even more. Don't assume one pound of anything will fill you up. That's about it. Won't be back.

Comments