South (Southside Park): Brunch Edition

food: 3/5
experience: 3/5
overall: 3/5

While South labels itself as, yes, a Southern restaurant, it doesn't quite live up to its name.

With promises of the best Southern cooking you'd find in Sacramento, I was pretty excited to sample South's selection. I'd heard it could get pretty crowded. Places are usually popular for a reason, right?

Well... this is more like Sacramento's hipster take on Southern cuisine. First, not to discriminate, but it's run mostly by people who fit the typical description of hipster, complete with mustache and open-button short-sleeve shirt showing off the tats. The interior is sparse. It's seat-yourself, get-water-yourself (in tiny glasses), get-your-own-silverware, take-leftover-boxes-yourself. And don't dare sit until you've ordered. (Side note: how does this work when it's crowded and there are no tables but you get your food?) As with anything hipster, they have to have some sort of weird take on normal things just to be different. You may be picking up that I don't like hipsters. You'd be correct.

I had to try their chicken and waffles for obvious reasons: 1) it's classic Southern (okay, it probably originated in LA, but fried chicken didn't) and 2) hello, my signature brunch item. It comes with three large pieces of chicken and two waffles.


Their waffle is, er, "tough." It took some muscle to cut it with a knife. I've never had a tough waffle. Granted this wasn't Waffle Experience-level bad, but it definitely isn't my favorite so far. The flavor is okay but I don't like having to strong-arm my waffles if you know what I mean. I actually didn't finish it which is a first for me and waffles. The chicken is okay I suppose. It looks hand-battered as it's patchy in some parts. The batter is aight. I've never had actual food from the South, but honey boo boo, this can't be it. There's no way this is authentic Southern. I've had better fried chicken at Shady Lady and Iron Horse Tavern. They put pralines in there which was a nice touch. Probably the best part of the dish actually.

I also got a side of biscuits with the ever-enticing, classic Southern honey butter.


This butter just tastes like butter to me. The biscuits are a lot less buttery themselves than I'd expect from authentic Southern cuisine. The tops are rather crispy and have what seems like dried honey granules on top. The interior is soft. I've had much better in Sac. They seem to be trying to emulate Lucille's BBQ biscuits but they don't come close. Again, authentic Southern food this is not.

There's nothing wrong with the service per se, if you can call it that. They take your order and bring it out to you. I guess hipsters don't like tips? Anyway. Perhaps brunch isn't their strong spot. Still, this restaurant by all my accounts is just "off" and I don't think I'll be back home for supper. If you want more authentic Southern food along with Southern hospitality I suggest Fixins in Oak Park.

Comments

  1. Bruh, the owner is African American from New Orleans. Also I have no idea how it works, but every time you make it through the super long line somehow a table is ready. It's voodoo perhaps.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hah really no way, whoops. Couldn't tell by the people who worked there. Idk I've had a lot better Southern-inspired food than this. Maybe their dinner is better.

      Delete

Post a Comment