Sawasdee Thai Cuisine (Midtown Sacramento)

food: 3/5
experience: 2.5/5
overall: 3/5

Let us bow our heads in a moment of silence, as we remember Mongo Mongo BBQ, a restaurant sorely missed and sadly replaced with an overpriced Thai restaurant called Sawasdee.

How this place is so popular eludes me. When people mention their favorite Thai spots in Sac this one inevitably comes up. It must be the location. There's no way this food merits 5/5. 4/5 is generous.

First time I tried this place I got the appetizer sampler and pumpkin curry. A fairly good representation of what they have to offer, I suppose.


The appetizer sampler came with three kinds of sauce including peanut (the only one you really need). Everything on the sampler was exceedingly average. It tasted like it should and nothing more. Spring rolls, chicken satay, even my favorite potstickers were just lame. How do you mess up pot stickers?


The pumpkin curry was fine but most certainly did not earn its $15 price tag. Are you kidding me? This dish was tiny. The pumpkin cost an extra two dollars because it's just so expensive (it's not pumpkin, btw, it's kabocha squash).

They didn't seem to get my order right the first time, either. I asked for no bell peppers and it was full of them. They did fix it so I didn't factor that into the rating. But they never asked how spicy I wanted it so it was completely flat. Come on now.

Based on those two dishes - between the quality, quantity, and price tag - I don't see myself returning.

Comments