Sushi Secrets (Downtown Berkeley)

food: 4/5
experience: 2.5/5
overall: 3.5/5

After my first experience with poke at Hokee Poke I never wanted to try poke again. But I happened upon Sushi Secrets on the way back from a trip to SF and was lured in by their cheap rolls. And their poke was cheap enough so I thought why not give it another shot.

They give you plenty of toppings here. Large quantities of fish and unlimited other toppings. They even include one scoop of crab salad as a free topping. Most places I've seen, they count that as a protein, which is outrageous because it's not even real crab.


Everything is very fresh and delicious, even the fake crab. The spicy tuna has sesame seeds tough so I couldn't finish it, but other than that, I'm officially a fan of poke again (for the right price).

On to the sushi. Sushi Secrets is probably best known for their sushirritos. You can pick all the fillings just like a poke bowl. I opted instead for a sushi roll. The Red Dragonfly, which, oops, has spicy tuna in it. I found out only after they finished making it. They remade it with regular tuna no problem.


It's a fairly simple roll, as are all the ones on their menu. And the presentation is a little questionable. But they're cheap. The fish was a little warm in the sushi so it wasn't quite as good as that poke.

On the way out I saw they had popcorn chicken so I had to get a box to go.


These little chicken pieces are so tiny! You eat them with a skewer. They're pretty decent given their price (four bucks). The breaded panic shrimp also looked tempting but I only have one stomach, sadly, and it's on the small side.

Unfortunately since their spicy tuna had sesame seeds, I assume it also had soy sauce because I had quite an allergic reaction a few hours later. They didn't seem to be familiar with soy allergies as they kept asking if I wanted soy sauce when I said I was allergic, so I wouldn't be surprised if it was in the food I ate. Bad experience thanks to that part.

On an unrelated note, Sushi Secrets sells orange vanilla Coke. How... unexpected?


Comments