Jimboys Tacos (Sacramento)

food: 4/5
experience: 4/5
overall: 4/5

If there's one thing Sacramento got right in terms of Mexican cuisine, it is its very own chain of Jimboys. They appear to have expanded into the Reno territory as well as the Bay area. Practically everything at Jimboys is a home run, and I believe I have actually tried practically everything.

First and foremost, if you're new to Jimboys I suggest introducing yourself to their tacos and burritos.


Their fresh taco shells are coated with a layer of parmesan cheese (uh...sure, why not) that makes them just superb. Their tortillas are grilled, so the burritos are served nice and warm. No plain, supermarket-tasting tortillas over here. The classic bean burrito will fill you up good. They even have breakfast burritos! Also recommended.


Tostadas: pretty standard, they've never impressed me in general. Basically just an open-faced taco on a corn tortilla shell. I say opt for the taco salad instead.


Parmesan mini-dilla: these are interesting. Parmesan isn't typically in Mexican fare but making a quesadilla with it was definitely a good idea.


Chile relleno: not my favorite, only because I'm not a fan of chile relleno as a dish, either. The cheesiness is the main draw here. If you do happen to like eating chiles though, this one is respectable for fast food.


Cheesy bean flautas: first thought are these are tiny, but also high calorie... hmm. Very good. If you're in the mood for flautas but not too hungry, these are perfect.


Enchiladas: a classic, and these are comparable to any sit-down restaurant you'll find. Red sauce, cheese, corn tortillas, and a delicious filling.


Taco salad: all the greatness of a taco in a lovely, crispy shell. Save the shell if you're trying to save on calories, but who are you kidding? The bowl is literally the best part.


Quesadilla: yummy, cheesy goodness in a warm tortilla. Nothing more to say.

They used to sell these little cinnamon twists when I was a kid that were just the bee's knees. I have yet to find them in this day and age. Some locations do have churros though, but I've yet to try...

The beans, rice, and meat all pass the Kristen test here, making this a solid choice for Mexican food to-go. Calling it fast food is a bit of a stretch because they're certainly not fast, but the restaurant is set up to look like one. Anyway, good things come to those who wait, am I right?

Edit: I have just been informed Jimboy's uses soy sauce in their beef. Shame! I am extremely allergic to soy. Thus I must dock the rating. That is a no-no!

Comments