Yolanda's Tamales (Sacramento)

food: 2/5
experience: 3/5
overall: 2/5

At Chalk It Up! fest in the summer in Sac Yolanda's Tamales usually sets up shop. That's where I've always found them. One summer I finally decided to try these tamales. They were proclaimed to be the "best in Sac". They looked and smelled delicious. Expectations were high.


Granted I wasn't on my Mexican food kick quite yet so my sample size of tamales thus far was limited, but these were some of the worst tamales I've had. Only because they were 85% corn to 15% meat. I think I got a few shreds in there total, no more than a fifth of a cup or so. The masa itself was very bland and the meat tasted simply plain, with maybe a little added spice. I just ended up throwing it out halfway through.

I do love to support small, local businesses, but when the one food item you specialize in is just nasty, your business needs some work. But they seem to get enough business without me so maybe it was an off day/tamale.

Comments